You know that moment when you are about a mile or so in to a run and it starts raining? And you realize that even if you head straight home that instant, you are still going to get soaked so you may as well decide that you like running in the rain? And then you start noticing new things - like how vibrant the colors of the Fall leaves are on the trees when they are wet. And how crisp and clean everything smells all of a sudden. And how the sensation of that little sting of the raindrops falling on your cheeks actually feels kinda good and besides, its hiding those darn tears that keep spontaneously creeping up there?
Its like right at the moment that you decide to accept the things you can't change, you start to be able to appreciate the way it is. I'm trying so hard to do this, but somehow this heartbreak is lingering.
"If life rains on your parade, pull out the slip-n-slide". <-- (good idea!)
Here goes:
Reasons to be happy even though it feels a lot like both the infertility miracle and the adoption miracle have slipped away:
1. With only one child, its easier to get a babysitter when we want to go out of town.
2. Lots of one-on-one time with Mom and Dad.
3. I don't have to worry about picking a favorite.
4. At least the one child I've got is a good one.
5. I don't need a mini-van.
6. It's cheaper to take "the whole family" to do stuff.
7. He both "keeps me young" and I can relate with the "youngest is in school all day" ladies.
8. I have the opportunity to do something else besides SAHMotherhood for umpteen years. (wish I could come up with it, tho!)
I wish that made me feel better. :(
I ran into a past friendly acquaintance the other night at a restaurant and we started chatting. And of course, she has twin boys, a 1 year old and a baby on the way. (btw - is EVERYBODY pregnant right now? b/c it sure feels that way...) and of course the "how many kids do you have now?" question pops up. And we get talking about all the infertility treatments I've been through, the miscarriages and the non-adoptions, etc. She actually says to me when they get up to leave "I'm so glad that I could run into you tonight. I've been feeling overwhelmed dealing with my kids and this new pregnancy. Its so nice to remember that there are people out there who have such harder lives than I do." Ummm thanks for reminding me how bad my life sucks, I guess?? I know she wasn't trying to be mean, but it still stung.
Soooo.... I also believe in the old adage "The only way to is through." But - being the control-freak that I am, I just wish to push through a little faster please. haha
ETA (edited to add): I ran into another old friend tonight. She said "You really only have one child? Why?" I just simply said, "Ya, we're just glad that since we only get one, we got this one. He's a great kid." and Guess what? Yep. She's pregnant. heh.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Everyday epiphany
Posted by sue at 10:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 Comments:
Oh Sue! Sure love you and think your the best.
Sue, you bring tears to my eyes. I'm thinking of you today. I think you're the best Mom EVER!!
I'm SO sorry, Suzanne!
I wish I could say something really profound that would instantly change your view on things and make you feel 100x's better....but I can't.
This is what I've come down to though - life ALWAYS has struggles. Always. And I've learned that the only way that I can make myself come through them, and to be able to feel comfort and peace, is to work hard at getting closer to HF. I know that's totally a cliche and it sounds really corny, but it's SO TRUE. I read my scriptures every night so that I can feel peace and I won't cry myself to sleep. I read the Ensign articles to keep my mind off of trying to remember what my husband looks like, and smells like.
Even if you weren't struggling with having another child, there would be another huge thing in your life that would make your heart hurt, and I just want you to know of a way to feel better! LOVE YA!!
I've called you a few times lately - been thinking about you!
1- Can't believe she said that...people would say crazy things to my sis-in-law too.
2- It's totally okay to have "life stinks" days now and again.
3- Sorry. It is a long hard road, but it seems to be one that amazing people get chose to walk (compliment to you both).
4- I'm not pregnant. :0)
You've brought me to tears too. Sometimes you talk about and sometimes you don't. It's hard to know exactly what you are feeling and now we know. I'm so sorry. I wish so bad I could get you a baby some how. I hope it happens some day SOON. You totally deserve it. Be strong. By the way, I'm not Pregnant!!!!!
Suzanne, I love you! You really are amazing how you deal with the challenges you've been given. And everyone has challenges and they're all different. My heart breaks for you :( I'm sorry that this is something you have to go through in life. I'm here for you if you ever need to talk, seriously. And I keep my eyes open for pregnant teenagers to give your pass along card to hehehe (I really do!) :) :) :) Lucky you got such a cute boy to begin with, he's got the personality and energy of 6 kids by hinself!
Sue, you are such a good mom! I'm sorry you're having a tough time with the baby thing. It's got to be challenging. We love you guys and love that Wyatt saved us a seat in church to sit next to Sam. When my mom came and sat down Wyatt was kneeling on the ground and she though Wyatt was Sam, they can be pseudo brothers:) Our blondie blues!
Hey Sue! Wow, look at all the love you have from these people... Mark and I love you and we definitely miss hanging out with you and Wyatt. You ARE truly lucky to have one great kid, who is so fun and goofy and smart and active and healthy! If only life worked out the way we always wanted... It sounds like you are doing pretty well at appreciating the small and important things in life, and eventually, things will feel better if you continue this way. You're such a GREAT mom and Mark always loved how much time he spent with you over any of his other siblings. That wasn't because you only had one kid, but because YOU are just great and good at sharing your fun with everyone! You are truly generous and sweet, and I appreciate all of the messages you've left me--they have made me feel better in tough times. Good luck with everything. Keep in mind how important it is to truly accept yourself and your situation before you can ever possibly heal--whether it's accepting how horrible you feel, accepting that you cannot change things, or anything. Love you and give Wyatt a hug for us! :)
Suzanne - life sucks sometimes doesn't it? it is irritating that those people are saying stuff like that! Love you - i am sorry for what you are going through!
Hard to see others with something you want so badly. Ohhhhh how the environment creates our beliefs and ideas. Outside of Utah having one kid is amazingly common, as you probably now, and super fashionable !!!!!!
There are three types of things in life. The things we can control, the things we can't, and the things we can't but will never give up HOPE. To deal with the latter, acceptance and gratitude of the current situation are the ONLY solution. Keep enjoying the life you got...You are REALLY good at that and that is why I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.
Post a Comment