Monday, November 30, 2009

White Rim Trail

Since I've done prettymuchnothing of interest lately, I'm blogging about Steve-o's White Rim Trail adventures. :) I shall live vicariously...

Steve's brother, Scott, is training for the Iron Man race in St. George next Spring. (Iron Man Triathalon = 2 1/2 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, PLUS a marathon = INSANITY!!) So he's doing all types of crazy training all the time and he asked Steve to ride the 103 mile (mountain bike) trail, the White Rim in Moab, several weeks ago.
This is a trail that "normal" people take 3 days to ride. "Crazy" people do it in 2 days. And "lunatics" actually try to ride it in 1 day. Guess what type of people they are? haha

They ended up with a group of bikers, one motorcycler and a support vehicle. So, Scott made the 103 mile trek in 10 hours. Steve had some complications and ended up making it 90+ miles in 12 hours. He came home BEAT. Completely WASTED after such an exhausting/difficult trek.


I was pretty surprised when he tells me he wants to do it again "to beat my time" the day before Thanksgiving. The second time it was just Steve and Scott (no support vehicle) and unfortunately it was bitttter c-c-cold. They both made it the full trail in 13 hours (actually took longer the 2nd time b/c they were frozen). But Steve came home with frostbitten fingers! His ring/pinky fingers had lost their feeling and were numb but not black so of course they'll be fine, right? (Its been 5 days and his pinkies are still feelin' funky, but they'll slowly get back to normal, right? uhoh I hope so)

And a few pics from "The Whole Enchilada" trail on another recent weekend... (easy to tell who's been having more fun lately, eh? :) My turn is comin'...)


I want to go next time! I actually want to go for 2 or 3 days and check out all the side trails, etc. ♫"Nothin's wrong - just as long as you know that someday I will - Someday, somehow gonna make it allright but not right now..."♫

2 Comments:

Mark Dammann said...

That is uber hardcore. I am glad that Steve-r is getting out and enjoying the wonderful world of Utah. I am very IMPRESSED with that 100 mile ride. WOW.

Lindsay said...

Holy cow! That is awesome! Things like that inspire me.....i love it. He's a crazy man!