Monday, February 1, 2010

Sundance TwentyTen


I adore the Sundance Film Festival. And not b/c I'm hoping to see movie stars walking down Park City Main Street, b/c I never do. I just think its one of the coolest events in Utah. I appreciate creative contributions to the world even if they represent thoughts/beliefs/ideas that are different from my own. I especially enjoy listening to the directors, actors and producers Q&A's after the films, always so much great discussion going on in these sessions. I find the whole experience to be inspiring, thought provoking and mind-expanding - which I revel in.

There's always a gamble when it comes to choosing which films to see and a sense of urgency to see the best films of the Festival while choosing from a long list of film descriptions in the film guide. Its usually a shot in the dark. This year we got lucky?/smart? and started asking questions and ended up seeing the top prize winner of the festival, "Winter's Bone" which is planned for a summer release already. We also saw a compelling documentary, "The Tillman Story." Two for two this time, lucky us!

Now if either Steve or I could stop talking about these films to anybody who will listen haha - I'm afraid we're driving our families nuts talking about these shows that nobody has seen but us. But thats the sure sign of a good film - when it stays with you and provokes discussion for days upon days. Its fun to have significant discussions with Steve other than "whats for dinner?" and "did Wyatt finish his homework?" lol

I also love the fact that I can see the blue sky today. I love Utah, but the inversion for months at a time gets a little (a lot) gloomy. Lovin' this beautiful, warm winter day!

ETA: We wait-listed and got into Best of Fest "Smash his Camera" documentary tonight, too. We tried to wait-list for another show but didn't get in. boo. But no Sundance experience is complete without the wait-list experience.

2 Comments:

¨*:·.TIFF.·:*¨ said...

WHATEVER!!!! can i tell you something, we were supposed to see that movie too (winter bones).
oh, and don't you worry that we were there, on the stairs and rejected because they oversold tickets!
it's cool though, it's good to know it was good- grrrrr.

sue said...

haha Tiff! You mean u had tkts but u were too late to get in? That is a BUMMMER!! But just FYI - it was a hecka scary film. Super well done but completely awful/tragic/fascinating/horrible story that made me CRYYYY and feel creepy.