
Ok, I'm officially addicted to blogging. I'm spending too much time at it lately. It's just too much fun.
So, it's early in the morning and I can't stop thinking about this story in Texas. Is anyone else losing sleep over this? (Here's a few links, sorry I don't know how to copy the video here)
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3051546#
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3054784
I realize this is a touchy subject... I hope I don't offend... but I have some thoughts...
I don't think this is a case of "Religious Freedom." I think that this is Religious Abuse - abuse that is being covered up in the name of religion. These girls are born into servitude. I've felt for a long time, and I continue to feel that Utah should do more. Mark Shurtleff (Attorney General) has said that it's just not possible for our State Social Services Agency to handle the situation. I say - "Work it Out!" Perhaps we could pull a Mitt Romney and put together a volunteer effort. (Mitt was the force behind the massive volunteer effort at the SL Olympic Games). I know that I, for one, would volunteer as a foster parent for this situation. I believe that Utahns would rally together and help out. We really should, its the right thing to do.
Anyway, anyone else have any thoughts? Please share and don't worry if you don't agree with me... we're all different colors of the rainbow - makes life interesting. :)
Friday, April 11, 2008
Eldorado, Texas & Polygamy in Utah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 Comments:
I agree, Sue. If consenting ADULTS decide to live a polygamist lifestyle, that is one things, but minors are ENTIRELY different in my mind. Tough subject. I'm impressed you're not scared to tackle it.
I completely agree! Something HAS to be done, and I'm glad they at least started, in Texas.
If you figure out a way to help these women and children, let me know, cause I really want to help!!
I absolutely agree! Sadly, with the number of children born into these families they don't have the guidance and love that each child should. Individual thoughts aren't cultivated. Almost as if they are farming children for the sole purpose of caring on the religion. NOT what HF intended. Ugh- I could go on but I digress. If you find information on what can be done to help- please pass it on. I would love to hear it!
Sue,
I agree with you one hundred percent.
They have gotten along under the guise of religion for far too long. Religion is no excuse to break the law. Hmmmm lemme see I think i am going to make a religion that allows heroin and meth use because well it allows me to spiritually connect with the almighty. It just doesnt work. If it is against the law then it is against the law. Why do people walk on eggshells at times around others religious beliefs, open discussion is always needed without defensiveness. In my mind religion is given far too much political sensitivity. Good job TEXAS...Now I just hope that they dont execute. I love you sister you are awesome.
However, it is important to realize that the religion to which you belong finds it a source of strength to know that they overcame such persecution from the government on their long Pioneer journey and I dont really know the details but it was polygamy back then and now Mormonism has grown from it. Maybe the church should not find soo much pride in their early battles with the government, because they were breaking the law back then.Write back to me at my email.
Makes me sick to my stomach! And I hate how their twisted ways cause many to associate that Mormonism is the same way.
I hear you...completely! I just feel bad for the kids. They have no idea whats going on and are probably so scared. :( By the way...I'm glad you're blogging more!
I absolutely agree with you! Thank you for posting this.
Post a Comment